Saturday, June 26, 2010

THE STORY OF AC

My Mom hardly ever called me at work, so I was immediately apprehensive when I answered the phone and heard her voice. What’s more, she sounded like she was crying, or trying hard not to. Her landlord had been in, she told me, and he had given her two days to get rid of the four kittens she had in her apartment. There was no way she would leave them at a pet shop (my brother had turned her against such places long ago because he would purchase kittens there to feed his boa snake); she knew no-one who would make a good home for any of them; she would have to get them euthanized if she couldn’t find a solution. Not only she couldn’t afford it, but the thought was breaking her gentle heart, and she was hoping I could help. After all, it was partly my fault if she was in such a position. When my youngest son had moved to a ‘no pets’ apartment, I had convinced her to take in his darling cat (the mama) that, unbeknown at the time, had sneaked out for a romantic liaison, and was in the early stages of pregnancy.

Two days. Two busy WORKING days.

I assured her I would take care of everything without the kittens being hurt, hung up, then immediately dialed my son’s number. He wasn’t going to get off so easy. Hearing the story, he agreed to pick them up the next day and transport them into the city where my office was situated. Then I started to make the rounds of my co-workers. Who would like a cute little pussycat to take home and spoil? In spite of my cajoling, there were no takers. I could picture myself having to call the vet, then inventing a convincing lie to tell my Mom. Damn!

Everything actually turned out fine. The next day my son showed up with three kittens; one of my mom’s elderly cronies had decided to adopt the fourth. They were adorable, and I showed them around the office, hoping against hope. Was that a glimmer in the secretary’s eye? She had never owned a cat, she told me. She wasn’t sure…she would think about it. She finally decided, and picked the biggest orange-stripped male. Two down, two to go…and those two came home to the apartment I shared with my son and another lad. We fell in love with them, and there they stayed; a cute little black and white female, who we called AC, and her orange-stripped brother, who was named, of course, DC. My mom was happy, the problem was resolved, and the kittens’ amusing antics gave us many hours of pleasure.

When I made my hasty move to the country (see my story of the Bud Saga), I left AC and DC with my son. He married his Japanese wife, Yoshiko, and the cats now had a new adoring mummy. The two animals grew up to be the fat, sleek, bosses in a home geared to their every desire. Anyone who owns a feline knows exactly what I mean.

Then, late last fall, AC’s health started to fail. Many visits to the animal hospital, and many dollars later, her worried humans were finally told that she had an incurable kidney problem. Medication would be necessary every day for the rest of her life…IF she survived. She didn’t. During this past week my son and Yoshiko hopelessly watched her go downhill until last night when, reluctantly and with torn hearts, they took her to the vet for her final visit. There are no children in their house, and they both felt as if they were losing their little girl. Grandma (me) stayed at home and agonized for them, waiting on the call to say it was done. They arrived at my house at 11:30 PM, carrying her in a little box, bringing with her all her favorite toys. After crying together, it was decided that, because of the hour, we would bury her only later today. She’ll be laid to rest beside Beef, and Ben, and little Mouse, snug on the hill at the bottom of my mountain, as we read together Corbin’s story of Rainbow Bridge:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigour. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...


Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

1 comment:

polichon said...

L'usage veut que l'on offre nos condoléances à la famille Burham . Je blague mais c'est toujours difficile de perdre un animal choyé. La consolation est qu'ils sont heureux au "Pont de l'arc en ciel". Je constate que le goût de l'écriture revient. Good.