Saturday, October 10, 2009

A WEEK LATER....

My nice computer doc finally showed up yesterday morning (early!), waded through the mud outside, then spent 2 hours working on my machine and voilĂ ! I nearly kissed him as I paid him – I was that happy. The borrowed laptop I’ve been using to feed my cyber-addiction is one we purchased for training. Unless it is hooked up to the central server at the office, it is extremely limited in what it can do. The keyboard is much smaller too; my fingers seemed way too large, and there was constant backspacing to delete surplus letters which just appeared out of nowhere. This morning I breathe a sigh of relief…I’m back in my element.

It was a crazy, hectic week. I would crawl into bed late at night, numbers running through my head, then be up at 4:30 AM and they were still there. One thing I did do last Saturday (it has been that long since I last blogged in here!!) was put everything on hold, and read my book, Roots. Thanks to all those whose advice leaned that way, lol. Actually, the book being thick, I spent a lot of Sunday doing the same thing. Then, of course, I paid for it by playing catch-up in the days that followed.

Two of the stagiares said their goodbyes on Friday. They are heading back to their studies after practicing in the real world. One of them, a nice little lady from Peru, gave me a pretty souvenir ashtray, made in her country, as a farewell gift. The other, a tall, graceful lady from Haiti, offered something completely different.

During a lunchroom conversation, a discussion about the trials of life had prompted me to mention an admired Blogit writer, Muley, who wrote that our enemies could actually be close friends from our previous lives, sent here to help us learn a needed lesson. There were mixed reactions; sceptic from a couple, thoughtful from others, and agreement from my Japanese daughter-in-law. I noticed the tightening of lips and slight shake of head from the Haitian stagiare, she who always bowed her head and said silent grace before eating. She was too shy to argue in words, but her expression left no doubt about her refuting such beliefs. I suspected that she was very adamant in her religion, whatever it was, and she proved it by handing me two printed tracts as she was saying goodbye. The cover page on one shows a clear picture of hell, complete with fire and brimstone; the other has lights streaming down from what is obviously heaven. I thanked her politely, assured her that, yes, I do read the bible, and wondered if I should try to convince her that spiritualism does NOT mean denial of God’s existence. I imagine I’d have wasted my breath. Her stance was telling me that only her religion saved souls. She meant well, so I accepted her gesture. To each our own. I couldn’t help laughing though when, at the end of the day, Yoshiko (my daughter-in-law) stood by my desk, glanced down at the pictures, then politely asked me, “So which one are you, Mom? The devil or the angel?” Then with a small smile, “I guess it depends on the day, huh?” I just love that girl!!

It’s Saturday, the sun is shining out there on my mountain, and I’m off to enjoy it while it lasts. My Dunany Demons whispered that there’ll be snow next Friday…already. Time flies whether we’re having fun or not, so sending you a big, warm smile and sincere wishes that y’all have a super day!!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

1 comment:

polichon said...

Yoshiko is a clairvoyant to discover the devil in you, who listens to the demons and forecast snow so soon.I like the story of the Haitian stagiaire. It takes me back to 50 years ago when I believed all that hocus pocus stuff. Shame on you to scandalize the poor innocent girl. You will now be in her prayers for the salvation of your soul. Me too, I will pray for you, to stop forecasting snow.. Kilroy...XXX