Sunday, April 6, 2014

YOU ARE ONLY A HUMAN...

“His white blood cells are still far too high, but his red cells are multiplying too, you see?” The vet pointed to the chart showing the results of Smooch’s blood test this week. “We seem to be on the right track. How is his eating?”

“Good,” I answered. “Liver and salmon and kale, plenty of it. And any other red meat I can afford.” Afford after paying your bills, I thought grudgingly. But not really grudging. Smooch is worth every penny spent.

The vet nodded. “Good! Keep up with that menu. How about the medication? Any problem getting him to take his pills? Keeping him on schedule is important.”

I shook my head. ‘No, no problem. I wrap the pills in Brie cheese. He loves it.”

“Liver and Brie?” His eyebrows raised and he grinned at me. “Can I come and eat at your place?”

“Sure!” I quipped. “But I buy that stuff for the dogs. The humans in my house get toast and peanut butter.”

We both laughed, but his glance told me that he suspected my statement was serious. If anyone can affirm exactly how we feel about our pets, it would be those in his profession. Their fees reflect this too. Still, they spend as many years studying as do doctors, and have to continue doing so even while working, and they are far more accessible than those caring for humans. I could hug the dude whenever he walks out of that laboratory with my doggie’s chart in hand and he’s smiling!

So, all in all, Smooch is holding his own so far. He has good nights, and some bad ones. Those nights he comes into my room and lies as close to my bed as possible, which means using the books on the floor as a pillow, and I put my hand on his head, comforting him as best I can. Most mornings he bounces back, others not so much; then it’s difficult to leave him when I go to work, even if Helen is here and cares for him well. She won’t be here this week – I’m not looking forward to it, but we’ll adapt. We always do.

Other than that, it is a lovely morning – blue sky and sun and icicles dripping from the roof! Right here, right now, the scene is a perfect winter wonderland, yet I am quite sure one won’t need 3 layers of clothing if venturing outdoors today. Maybe my Dunany Demons have decided to give it up finally, and our spring will catch up to the rest of the country.

Life is good – and it keeps me SMILING! Sharing them of course! 

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: