Friday, January 25, 2013

PIT-BULLS ARE......

Grump and Smooch, 2 wicked Pit-bulls

It’s a bit more than just ‘chilly’ outside. Even the doggies were willing to come back in after a 20 minute playtime. I was well dressed, layer upon layer, but headed for the door when I saw them lift their paws one after the other. I knew they wouldn’t be the first to make the move. They don’t seem to know when it’s time to quit.

Pits are renowned for their endurance, for being tough. It’s one of the reasons that small children can crawl all over pits more than most other breeds, and the dog will not react other than a lick in the face. Believe me – I’ve seen it happen with my own eyes. My golden labs, Ben and Beef, were both very docile, but far less willing to put up with poking children. Bud, my pit, whose expression scared every adult he ever met, would spend hours with my grandbabies and never even flinched when they did what babies do; pulling on ears, sticking fingers in eyes, even stepping on paws. My brother would say “no sense, no feeling!”, but he would also admit that any pit I’ve had the pleasure to own was ideal for little children. That breed just seems to have high pain tolerance.

Grump and Smooch were the same with my rug rats during their stay. Unfortunately, the boys had not been taught to respect animals – they learned on site, so to speak. I don’t know how many times I would tell them, “Don’t hit the dogs!!”, because that’s exactly what they would do when either, but especially Smooch, would get in their way. The weight of each pit is equal to the total of the 3 boys together. It could have been a very bad scene had the doggies not been so tolerant. They just wanted to play, and were quite willing to take many knocks while doing so.

I was the one shuddering when the vet was manipulating the huge blood blister hanging from Grump’s belly the other day (before his operation to remove it) because I know those things hurt. Grump stood there stoically, looking into my eyes.

“Ouch!’ I said. “Such a good dog. He’s not even moving, and that’s gotta hurt!”

“He’s a pit,” she replied with a smile. She handles all sorts of animals on a regular basis, in all kinds of situations. We both agreed that this breed has a bad reputation mainly BECAUSE of their qualities: extreme tenacity and loyalty, and very high tolerance to pain. Like anything (one) extreme, be it human or animal, if used the wrong way, it creates a problem; add the media frenzy, and the problem becomes a worldwide catastrophe.

The German Shepherds had their day, then the Dobermans, then the Rottweiler...now it’s the Pit-bulls. That is so damned unfortunate because, all along, the problem has been the people who raise these animals, not the animal itself.

My two beasties are presently lying by the fire, waiting on me to join them, to scratch an ear, or to just say a soft word, or even better, a cuddle. Their whole world revolves around mine, what I expect of them, what they can do to please me. Tell me, what more could a person want from a pet?

They’re my protectors, my best friends, and they think I’m the greatest thing that ever happened to them. Would that make you SMILE?

It makes me SMILE – and they’re willing to share – so up and away it goes....winging its way to y’all!!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: