Wednesday, August 28, 2013

ACCOMMODATE WHO?

In spite of living in the most controversial province of my country, I’m not into politics. I believe that the majority of people working in that field are there for their own benefit; their own pockets and power. Even those who enter the political arena with the noblest of intentions seem to end up a good example of if you can’t beat them, join them.

But believe me; I wouldn’t want to do their job. Part of my duties while working 10 years for a municipality required that I rub shoulders with more than one politician, provincial as well as federal. I realized that constant wearing of white gloves is not my thing.

I am not a fan of Pauline Marois, our present provincial leader, and her PQ party. However, I have to say that the Values Charter she has introduced has merit. I suspect you have heard about it – this legislation that would ban all religious items and clothing for those working in or for our provincial government. There is one thing I don’t like about it, and a commentator on a news article took the words out of my mouth:

Quebec was historically a Catholic territory with other minor groups of religions! Why is it then, that the Quebec government needs to legislate the removal of Catholic or Christian symbols from public institutions merely to accommodate other people whose country of origin is predominantly non Christian?

If I moved to a country where women were required to cover up, I would cover up. Their country, their culture, their laws. And I am certain their government would not bend over backwards to accommodate me.

I rest my case.

And because I really need to keep plugging away at this censored file I am trying to complete, I will send you big SMILES at get back to it.

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: