Saturday, February 5, 2011

ON OUR WAY BACK.


I know I have survived weeks much harder than these past two, but they are way up there in sh*tty. The house seems so damned empty without Bud, and Grump is definitely depressed, and has to be coaxed to eat. I’m trying to wait it out, hoping he’ll perk up soon. Getting another dog to keep him company would help, but that would mean staying at home while the newbie could adapt to us. It wouldn’t be fair otherwise. I don’t have the time at the moment, nor the desire. It’s still too soon.

The bank finally came through, although we won’t touch the money until sometime next week. I push the thought of ‘too little, too late’ as far back in my thoughts as I can. How could I not? The employees are still there, working without complaint, after 5 weeks without salary. Incredible!

It does add to the pressure; I feel I need to make it work out just to prove that their confidence in me is justified. The bright note is that I usually do my best work under pressure. Time will tell.

One hard lesson learned is that we’ve been spoiling our clients too long. Instead of accepting promises of long overdue payment, they were warned this week that nothing will be done until their delinquent accounts are up to date....and I meant it this time. The desks are piled with files, all waiting on cheques to be delivered as agreed, which is to be Monday. No more excuses will be tolerated. It’s actually perfect timing; all the companies are obliged to remit the T-4’s for tax season before the end of this month. The only way to get them is through us, and that’s NOT going to happen unless we are paid. So there!! I imagine there are a few ‘delicate’ words being used to describe my attitude right now, LOL!

On the up side...we finally got snow! It is beautiful in the bush. Each night Grump and I take long walks down the laneway and through the heavy laden trees. It is the only time he becomes his perky self, racing away ahead, then back to me, sniffing for whatever in the high banks, staking his territory. Sometimes we are joined by the beautiful Louka, and Sally, the neighbour’s Rottweiler, who is Grump’s girlfriend. Those walks are the best therapy; we all thoroughly enjoy them.

The HABS are playing this afternoon, then later I will pick up my brother and we will share a supper with my Cuban friends. I won’t stay there too long; it’s hard enough on Grump to be alone while I’m working, so I try to stick around home much as possible on the week nights and during the weekend. Tomorrow I do have to go into the office for awhile, but want to get back for another HABS’ game, then the Superbowl. I no longer dance when a goal is scored. Grump lifts his ears when I yell my hurrahs; he’s probably waiting for me to stand up and do my little jig, but I’m not ready for that yet. I know it will come, but my heart isn’t into it right now. Bud was the better dance partner...

Kilroy is still in the hospital, and I’m missing his blogging, but I have much reading in Blogit to catch up on, and that’s always a rewarding experience. I have a couple of errands to run (with Grump riding shotgun!), then I’ll get back to enjoying the posts, and you can be sure I’ll be SMILING as I do so. Sending one your way, with wishes for great day!!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: