Saturday, February 12, 2011

THE LOOK


It was late. I watched the hockey game (or should I call it a bad replay of The Fight Club?) between Boston and the HABS, and had already turned on the water and poured in the bath beads, preparing my Jacuzzi. Grump was right behind me, dogging every move I made. After nearly tripping over him for the umpteenth time, I told him to MOVE, get out of my way, and my tone was sharp. He obeyed; slumped over to the fireplace and flopped himself down on the mat. That’s when he gave me his version of The Look!

Now, it was always Bud who was a master of The Look. Anytime he felt the need to direct it towards me, it was a mixture of arrogance (How dare you talk to me that way!) and derision (You need the exercise more than I do, chump!).

Grump’s character puts a different spin on The Look. The accusation in his eyes speaks volumes (You left me here alone all day!)…then there’s the pleading (Aw, come on. You promised…you are not playing fair…Boring!!!). And, of course, the guilt always does me in.

Reluctantly deciding that I could add more hot water later, I left the bath sitting and pulled on my heavy winter clothes and boots. We were only halfway down the driveway when Louka joined us, and together the three of us meandered to the end of my property, and then turned left to climb the snow-covered dirt road. It goes up, and up and up, before taking a curve and running deep into the bush. It was a beautiful but cold night; the stars were numerous, with only wisps of clouds here and there in the dark sky. The recent snowfall did wonderful things to the fir trees surrounding us, and we inhaled that special, complete silence of a winter’s night in the country.

The dogs were practically invisible up ahead of me; only by focusing on shadowy movements as they sniffed from one snow bank to another could I tell that they were still there. I called out to warn them that I was starting homeward. We had been walking for twenty minutes or so and, in spite of enjoying it fully, I had an early morning ahead of me so wanted to get back. They came racing past me, Grump stopping just for a second to nose my hand on his way through. I laughed aloud, happy that I had fallen into his guilt-trap. I was even happier when we reached the top of the hill and saw what waited for me there.

The view was incredible! A clear, lemon-quarter moon hung in the black sky, its bright glow drawing silver linings on a set of fluffy clouds hovering just below. My house, situated high on the other hill in front of us, the outdoor lights along the gallery twinkling sporadically through the tree branches, had become a castle, floating right up there too. I stopped in my tracks, holding my breath, fearing that the mystical vision would vanish before I could get my fill. I was vaguely aware that the dogs had returned to sit quietly, one on each side of me, searching for whatever had made me so attentive. It was another magic moment.

Later, relaxing in the bubbling aroma of lilac scented water, I relived the awesome scene. If it hadn’t been for Grump giving me The Look, I’d have missed out. I glanced over to where he was curled up in front of the fire. He seemed to sense my gaze, and he lifted his head to stare back at me. Was his expression saying “I told you so”?

Maybe, but we both know that I’m not a sore loser. I toasted him with my wine glass, and we both SMILED.

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: