Saturday, December 18, 2010

TO SLEEP OR NOT TO SLEEP...

When I went back to bed around 6 AM yesterday, I forgot to set my alarm. I fell into a deep sleep, and only woke when the phone rang. It was my office, wondering where I was, telling me it was near noon and the family was on its way to pick up the Christmas basket. Needless to say, I didn’t make it in time for the presentation. In fact, on my drive in, I was seriously considering opting out of the planned evening festivities too; the annual gift exchange, where we were to also celebrate Line’s birthday. I was so exhausted, it was a strain to keep my attention on negotiating traffic. There was no way the employees were going to let me get away with not attending, however, and they were right. They had organised everything. I didn’t need to lift a finger, and the staff is not so numerous that one member missing would go unnoticed.

It was a very nice party; pizza, lasagne, and black forest cake, all homemade by the girls, cooked and served in Line’s decorated condo, while traditional holiday music played in the background. We laughed and chatted, the gifts were distributed and warmly appreciated by one and all, and by 9 PM I was on my way home to the doggies, happy that I had decided to go after all.

The same thing happened this morning. I had dropped into bed on arrival at home last night, and was awake at 3 AM. By 6 AM I was sleepy enough to crawl back under the blankets. Helen and I were to do Christmas cooking today, and I figured her call would wake me early enough. She didn’t call, instead waiting for me to contact her, not wanting to interrupt me if I was resting. My brother was the one who reached me at 11:30, and he was surprised to hear how groggy I was when I answered the phone. It doesn’t help that my son, who spoke to me just now, said that Yoshiko, my DIL who was at our little do last night, came home and told him she was worried about me; that I looked terrible, really tired.(and there goes HER Xmas gift!!!). My children can be pains in the butt when they get on my case, but I have discovered how to halt their harping. I begin to discuss how they should distribute my life insurance. They are not into that conversation, so are all quite willing to follow when I change the subject, LOL! (I’m allowed to be mean sometimes; it’s preserving sanity).

I know they are right. When I go for my groceries later, I’ll stop at the pharmacy and pick up some vitamins. If I want to get there before the store closes, I need to get a move on!

Hope you are having a good day, folks! Mine is fine now that I’m really awake, so I SMILI NG, and passing it on to y’all!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec

1 comment:

polichon said...

Là est toute la question, dormir ou ne pas dormir. Ce sacré problème qui vient nous hanter avec le temps. Comme moi, je sais que tu n'aimes pas que l'on te dise quoi faire, mais je sens que tes enfants s'inquiètent pour toi, sans doute avec raison parce que mémère en fait peut être pas mal trop. Cours vite à la pharmacie pour tes vitamines, Two a day çà aide . Kilroy....xxx