Wednesday, February 17, 2010

THE BUD SAGA - PART 13

The doc gave me a little pamphlet which is telling me that women over 50 should be taking 800 UI of Vitamin D per day. I decided to check on label of the One-a-day vitamins I have here, and they only have 200. I guess the rest is supposed to be made up from the sun. That may work; if every week is like the one we just had; if your job can be done outside; if you live in the Caribbean.

My daughter sells vitamins from Usana. I have some of those too, and their Vitamin D content is 500 – much closer to the required daily amount. I will still need supplements, or move to one of those sunny islands…LOL!

Sorry about not blogging yesterday – time was short. It seems whenever I sit down at the computer, an hour or so flies by in the blink of an eye. I’m still pedaling this morning, so will post my next chapter of Bud’s story now and get moving.


YOU WANT ME TO BABY-SIT WHAT??? – Part 13

The dogs were barking wildly, and a voice was screaming over their noise. “Get back, get back!!”

My heart was in my throat as I leapt out of bed, tripped on the sheets, regained my balance and staggered for the stairs. Halfway down I stopped, then stood hanging onto the railing, trying to make sense of the scene below. The door was open, and a tall man was partially hidden between it and the wall, using the door as a shield. His eyes were fixed on the pit, who was square in front of him with that bull-like stance, teeth bared and his growling snarls so vicious that there could be no doubt as to his intentions. Ben and Beef were right behind Bud, following his lead, also barking and snarling, advancing then backing up, then advancing again.

The man spotted me. “Get him off me! It’s me, Mike! Get that damned thing off me!” My hung-over brain was not operating at full wattage yet. Mike who?

Seeing my confusion, he yelled at me again, his voice pleading now. “Your Friend’s Mike!” he said. “Get the damned pit away from me!”

ME get the pit away?? I was just as frightened of the dog as he was! The pitch of snarling increased a scale. Bud was beginning to crouch, his bandaged leg forgotten. I woke up.

“BUD!” He paid me no heed. I tried again “BUD! SIT!” He didn’t even look at me, but neither did he jump the guy. Not yet. Something had to be done. Immediately.

“Don’t move,” I cautioned the man. Step by step I descended the stairs. The pit threw me a glance, but remained focused on the intruder. ”Bud! Sit, Bud!” He wasn’t letting up. Still saying his name, I stretched my hand behind his head, aiming for the choker. He darted out of my reach, his snarling more intense still.

“BUD! ENOUGH!” I said it with as much authority as I could muster. In the second he hesitated, I managed to grab the choker and hang on, praying that he wouldn’t turn on me. He didn’t, but he was straining ahead so strongly that I knew I couldn’t hold him for long.

“Get out! Get out now!” I hollered. Hugging the wall, never taking his eyes off the dog, the man slipped around and through the door, slamming it shut behind him. Bud lunged, and pain snaked up my arm as some skin from my fingers went with him. I had to use both hands to pull him away from the door, talking to him constantly, my tone as appeasing and calm as a trembling voice can be, trying to settle him down. When he saw the labs run to look through the window, he moved to follow, so I was able to get outside myself. The ‘Mike’ had a foot in his car, but stopped when he saw me.

“What were you doing here?” I was furious. I remembered this dude now. He was a casual acquaintance of my friend, and I had found him arrogant the both times I had met him. I didn’t like him very much then, and even less now. He was honest enough to admit that he had walked into the house without knocking, thinking to surprise my friend for morning coffee, he said.

“I’ll tell him you dropped by. If you ever come back, you’d better knock before coming in. Pits don’t like surprises.” I watched him peel out of the yard before I returned inside.

Bud was still in the window, watching and waiting. I looked at him. Was he to be praised or berated? Or just feared? I’ll put that thought on hold. Right then my thirst was overpowering, my head throbbing, and every part of my body was shaking. I needed to be in my own bed in my own apartment. No dogs, no daily cleaning, no intruders with pits trying to eat them, no more damned hassles! I needed to go HOME! But before all that, I needed a huge glass of water with aspirins.

My self-pity trip continued even after I choked down the pills. I had kept my promise and done my best, I told myself. The pit was just too much. One day he was going to hurt somebody, and did I want to be responsible for that? Or, even worse, be the one he hurt? He was NOT part of the deal when I’d told my friend no problem… I’d be there for him. And he thinks I’m spoiling his dog? Maybe he was right, but what about me? I’d only been here two weeks and the little Sh*t had caused me enough stress to age two years! No, no and NO! It was time to call it quits. I was going home today. I’d call Helen now to give her my decision and the ball would be in her park for a change, and she could inform her son. I refused to let myself imagine how disappointed he would be.

Determined to get it done before the tiny nudge of guilt changed my mind, I went to the phone. It rang before I could pick up the receiver. My breath caught in my throat. The ID gadget was reading ‘Private’.

(To be cont’d)

Wow – as I read this over the memories come flooding back, and I wonder where I found the nerves and energy to handle it at the time. It’s a perfect case of “doing what ya gotta do”. It’s easy to laugh at it now, but was NOT funny at the time.

Have a good day everyone. I can see that the Demons have returned and are doing the snow thing, but remember that we only have a month or so and Spring will be come here – she’ll chase those nasty fellows away!

SMILES for y’all!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: