Friday, February 5, 2010

THE BUD SAGA part 2

I often listen to CBC FM radio while driving to and from work. It’s more talk show than music, and it elaborates on a variety of subjects outside the current news. Yesterday there was an interview with Kris Kristofferson, a country songwriter/singer/actor. My brother had introduced me to this man’s talent some years ago and, although his tunes are not what I would want to hear on a daily basis, I do enjoy them when the mood is right. When the interview was over, I decided to play his CD. It’s a good one, with his best tunes, all selected by my brother, who is an avid fan. I woke up this morning with one of those still playing in my head. It’s called “Why me?” (I think), and I would love to share it here, but I don’t have the technical ‘know-how’. I must learn to do that someday - transfer videos and music onto my blog. One of my favourite authors from the writing site adds music to enhance her poetry posts. It is very well done, and a joy to read while listening to the music in the background. Eh bien – another thing to add to my “to-learn” list. If I live long enough to do everything on that list, I’ll be around for a good while yet, LOL! In the meantime, if you want to hear it, Google will do the honours.

I have learned to copy and paste though, so here is the second chapter of my Bud Saga:


You want me to baby-sit what?? - part 2

After hanging up the phone, I sat digesting the conversation. When you need to face an unpleasant experience, you might as well bite the bullet and get it over with. The longer you put it off, the longer the agony. My decision was made. I would head for the country that night.

My preparations consisted of throwing into the backpack the normal things for an weekend stay....jeans, sweatshirts, pj’s…. except this time I added a suit which I would wear to work on Monday. Wow! I sat down again, shaking my head. Was this for real??

The 60 minute ride up north (no rush hour at that time of night!) was my personal question and answer period. Did I want to do this? Why me? How long was it going to last? Why did I drink that damned bottle of wine??? The answers were obvious. My friend needed help, or this would not be happening, and I would be there for as long as he needed me. I did enjoy the house in the country. I could handle the travel, and I loved his golden labs.

The only valid problem was the pit bull. I have a soft spot for all animals, but I knew nothing about pits except what I had heard or read. None of it was complimentary. In fact, it was downright scary. The only thing that kept me from turning back around and calling it off was my belief that it’s the master who makes the dog. My friend was a one of the best dog people I’d ever seen. Besides, I assured myself, the thing was still a six month old puppy, for heaven’s sake!!

I had arrived. The porch lights were not on, and it was very silent and very dark, but Helen had told me exactly where to find the key. As I walked up the stairs of the back gallery, the barking started. They were shut in the basement. Entering the house, I flicked on the lights, took a deep breath, and inched open the basement door.

“Ben? Beef?,” I called softly. The three dogs were standing looking up at me, the pit just behind the labs. Hearing their names, the labs’ tails began to wag, and they bounded up the steps. The pit didn’t move. And his tail was not wagging. He just stood there with a bull-like stance, no expression on his face at all. A dead stare. Hurriedly I hugged the huge dogs to my side, glancing sideways at the pit…too uneasy to look him straight in the eye, so tense that I couldn’t even remember his name.

The labs were ecstatic and it was all I could do to keep them from knocking me on my butt.

“Out? You guys want out?” I asked. Recognizing the word, they headed happily for the door. The pit started up the stairs, and I moved back so he could follow them. The hairs were still stiff on the back of my neck as I let the three of them outside. I had found my answer to the question about the wine… I could have used a bottle right then to bolster my courage.

The fireplace was burning nicely and I was taking stock of the kitchen cupboard contents by the time the three dogs showed up at the window of the patio door. Feeling braver with the glass between us, I took a good look at my menace. A dark rust-brown in color, he was not tall, but was already built like a solid bull; his shoulders wide, his head large, and his jowls pronounced. Okay, so not an everyday puppy. His eyes were the same shade as his short fur, and looked like they had been outlined by thick, black eyeliner. All in all, he was a handsome animal…easy to admire from the safe side of a window.

Beef, the oldest lab, looked at me and barked. It was time to let them in from the cold. Bracing myself, I pulled to open the sliding door. As they started to file in, I couldn’t help but notice that there was still no wag to the pit’s tail. This was going to be a long night.

(to be continued)

The sun is kissing my mountain good morning – so it’s time for me to head to the city, folks. Have a great day! Don’t forget – I’m sure there is someone out there who could use your SMILE. I’ll be wearing mine!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

1 comment:

polichon said...

I guess it wasn't love at first sight between you and Bud, he wouln'd even wag his tail to say hello, meaning that he did not like you too much, or did not accept you as a stranger,.
Kilroy