Friday, July 22, 2016

THE PUPPIES or MY FOSTER-FAIL


Anyone who has been reading my posts will know the story of my applying to adopt a young female pit-bull, called Mommy, then ending up coming home with her and five of her 2 week old puppies.  It was the best of times and the worst of times. In spite of the extra work (and lots of that!), I can honestly say it was one of the most enjoyable and sweet experiences I have ever lived...until it was time to give them up for adoption.

Animal lovers will already know that each of those doggies had a unique character. Before I get into how much of a foster-fail I turned out to be, and because finally I can talk about it without a huge lump forming in my heart, I want to tell you about these wonderful, loving little creatures who joyfully invaded my life for too short a time.

There were nine squirming tiny ones in Mommy’s litter (her third one, poor baby), and the rescue group called them the ‘Alphabet’ puppies. The first name began with ‘A’, and the last with with ‘I’. The five I had were:

B – Bruno

C – Caroline

D – Dean

E – Elizabeth

G – George

It was hilarious – it took me at least a week to get their names straight. I called them all ‘Little poops’ and I’m sure I don’t have to tell you the reasoning behind my spontaneous dubbing.  I finally got it straight: Bruno and Caroline were one set like twins, both light brown with white and a little black. George and Elizabeth were the other set of twins, both black and white, like their Mommy. Dean was different. He was the biggest of the litter, a darker chocolate brown, with white stockings to his knees. He had a white chest and a white line on his forehead, with a large white ‘L’ on the back of his head and neck; a handsome fellow altogether!

My semi-basement apartment was empty, so the puppies were installed there in the kitchen/living room area, with gates on both doors to keep them contained. Blankets and toys and water bowls in place, I made sure Mommy could join them when they needed her. Each morning on rising, I would bring them upstairs to play in my kitchen/dining room while I washed the floors in their sleeping quarters. I would put them back in the apartment before leaving for work – AFTER washing the floor upstairs in turn. Coming home at night was the same routine. Up you come, puppies – wash the floor downstairs – let the puppies play and socialize – then downstairs again for the night. Before turning in I washed the floor upstairs again. Honestly, I felt like my mop had become a permanent fixture in my hands, LOL.

I was captivated. My next posts will be boring for those who don’t feel an affinity with animals, because, more for my own sake than to give the information, I need to describe and relish in the doing so, the how and why I became attached to each of those little blessings, and why it took me so long to get over letting them go.

For right now – our annual birthday party is tomorrow. It was to be held in my youngest son’s yard but, because they are predicting rain and his house is much smaller, it may very easily happen here. UGH – cleaning to do!! That’s okay. I’ll be rewarded with the presence of all my kids, grandkids, great-grandbabies and dozens of friends – a wonderful fun day in the making!!

Leaving you with a SMILE, folks!! This old lady has to get a move on!!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

1 comment:

polichon said...

Pretty soon you will have to hire someone to take care of your puppies.This is a test for a comment