Tuesday, July 19, 2016

IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT


 2 AM this morning. Comfy as I was lying there cuddled by my beasts, I knew I might as well get out of bed and do something – there would be no more sleeping for the moment. The two ladies watch as I pull on slippers in the semi-darkness, but they don’t budge. They always wait. Experience tells them it could be just a bathroom trip, and I’d be crawling back under the blankets in a minute. Sam, as usual, sprawls down off the bed and plods along behind me. Whenever I move, he moves. Bandit was nowhere to be seen. He often disappears into another part of the house during the night, or goes off outside. He’ll greet us in the morning then snooze all day in my home office.

The ladies hear the coffee machine and come out to join Sam and me in the kitchen, yawning, stretching, and all three beasts head for the door. No matter what time I get up, it’s their first stop. They were slightly hesitant this morning. It was raining out there. They stop, look up at me. Do we have to? Yes, you do, so off you go. It wasn’t long before they were back, watching me through the window, willing me to look up and let them in. Eli heads for the couch with her chew toy, Mommy gets her ear rub then goes back to bed, and Sam follows me into the office, plunking himself down beside my feet. He’ll stay there until I move again, then will be right behind me. Maybe I should have called him Shadow, LOL.

I hear Eli bark once from the kitchen, then again. I get up and, Sam in tow, we go to check it out. Just as I thought, Bandit is in the window demanding entry. The doggies always let me know when he is there, either by a short bark or by hunting me up and bothering me until I go with them. We get each others’ signals.

I drop into Facebook, send thanks off to those I didn’t see last night, then my daughter hails me on private message. She starts work each day at 3 AM, and it’s rare we don’t have an early morning chat this way. Another reason to like the site; it’s ideal for very busy people who like to keep in touch during unusual hours.

SO... now Bandit is on my desk, strolling around in front of my screen, making this writing difficult. He’s purring out his night hunt, butting his head under my hands and along my chin. Sam, wanting a share of the attention, has just shoved his huge head onto my knee and is nudging from the other side. Back to bed, Mistress. We can all cuddle into one big, happy family!

Eli just came in, pushing her way to be closest to me – a female Bud, she is – so that’s it for this post. I’ll see if we can’t snooze for an hour or two before joining the chain gang. Sending out SMILES to y’all – probably full of pet hair, but certainly full of care!!

Luv from the bush in Quebec

No comments: