Friday, January 1, 2016

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I worked all day Thursday. I wanted to finish early but, as usual, one knows when one goes into the office but never when one will get to leave. Even with everything supposed to be on holiday minor emergencies kept coming up, so I left later than planned. I was bushed, as I seem to be after any full day of work now. However I had promised the kids that I would attend the New Year’s Eve sugar shack party and I was determined to keep my promise. I figured that a couple of hours snoozing would put me right back on top, so I cuddled on the couch with Mommy. Ah...bliss!

I woke four hours later. Oops! There were a few texts on my cell phone, all wondering where I was, was I on my way? My neighbour had sent one too, asking me if I wanted to join him and a few others outside for a bonfire – they were going to ring in the New Year from there. It was very tempting, but no. I hurried, got dressed to the nines, and arrived at the kids’ party just before 2015 ended. I worked my way through the crowd, kisses and hugs...kisses and hugs...until I reached my son. Little Miko was sitting on the table, eyes wide, and smiled as soon as she saw me. Into my arms, sweetheart, and we watched the rest of the activities together. The place was packed, the music was good but loud, and it didn’t bother that baby in the least!

When the countdown to 2016 ended, I saw there was a line in front of me, all waiting to wish me a Happy New Year. Of course! These were the people I had watched grow from elementary school age to the adults they were now, so many times sharing our home, and rarely NOT celebrating the New Year together. By this time Miko was sleeping on my shoulder, and she never budged as the line went by, embracing us both, dropping little pecks on top of her head. We were surrounded by warm and genuine love, and I am so proud of all my now-forty something youngsters – my ‘extended families’!

It was in the vicinity of 5 AM when I got to bed this morning. The calls from well-wishers started at 10. Some visitors stopped by, and I greeted them in my pj’s. I have the whole crew coming tomorrow for the birthday party, so there was some cooking to do. Like Kabu, I cheered the Habs from my TV in the kitchen between chopping and stirring (and we WON that classic!!) and now I will wash up all those dishes I dirtied then into bed!! I doubt I’ll have to run after Morpheus tonight.

It was a glorious end of one year, and a glorious start of another. A good omen, I would think! Wishing you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR, and sending that with a SMILE...a very, very grateful SMILE!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: