Saturday, March 29, 2014

I'LL GO WITH TRAUMA...

This week Smooch’s 4th blood test was disappointing, to say the least. Although his red blood cells are growing, they are still what the vet calls ‘babies’, and his white blood cell count had gone up again. He has been on antibiotics for at least three weeks now, so that puts paid to infections, the usual cause of an increase. The vet mentioned a pathologist friend; he would let her log onto his machine and maybe she could tell us if it is leukemia or not. In the meantime the intense cortisone treatment will be continued, and we’ll see what next week’s blood will say...unless the pathologist can define something concrete before then, in which case the vet would call me immediately....

I didn’t hear from him, so I’m taking that as good news. I turned to the internet for more information, and discovered that trauma can also be a cause of a high count. Of course! The day before the appointment I was outside with both dogs, Smooch on his leash, when the beautiful Louka ran up to join us. Smooch was quite happy to see his friend...until she tried to take his ball. If he had been well, she never would have done such a thing – there is a certain element of respect among canines. But he is sick and weaker, and the strong prevail in doggie rules. She attacked him, he fought back, and Grump attacked her, and the three were a turmoil of growling, biting fur with poor Smooch on the bottom. Fortunately Helen’s son was here and ran outside to help me get them apart. Louka was sent home, but the damage was done. Smooch had some wounds on his throat, and was shaking with exhaustion and probably shock too. I much prefer trauma to leukemia, so I’m going with that unless it’s proved different; trauma is not a long-lasting affliction.

I contacted the friend of Louka’s master who is doggy-sitting her while he is away, asking that Louka be kept at home. It seems the friend can’t handle Louka; keeping her inside means damage to furniture and walls, and tied outside has the neighbours complaining because of the constant howling. We’re not quite sure when Louka’s master will be coming back, but it won’t be before June.

“I’m so fed up! And now this!! No one else wants her – I’m thinking of having her put down!” the lady exclaimed.

Ah no! Not our beautiful Louka! A compromise needed to be made, so I told Helen not to tie my boys downstairs for the time being, just to let them out on the galleries. Louka has no access there unless the gate is open. I’ll do the walks, and will head her off before she approaches until Smooch is well enough to discourage her from trying it again. Spring will be here soon (we think!) and the first thing on the agenda is a long fence; once installed my doggies will have free rein on my property without the worry of problem pets owned by incompetent neighbours!

I’m working on a short video of my ‘dreams for my future’, this commissioned by our motivational speaker at the office meeting last week – something each of us are to hand in by April 11th for our brownie points. I wasn’t too keen on it, but it’s rather fun. My first picture on the track is what else? A field with trees, a dog and a long, long fence. I’ll share it with you all when it’s done. It’s to be set to music, and I’m having a heck of a time deciding between AC/DC’s Thunder or Tiny Tim’s Tiptoe Through the Tulips.

Yeh, right! As if!!! There you go – that phrase just brought on a giggle and a SMILE...they’re both on their way to y’all now!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: