Tuesday, March 4, 2014

AND ABOUT SMOOCH...

We noticed his energy had diminished, but put it down to some boredom, some maturity, and probably lack of exercise and her company since Mistress has been working so much and so long. One night I noticed that even his greeting, usually very enthusiastic, seemed to be a huge effort. I called and made an appointment with the vet.

My Smooch is a very sick doggie. Blood tests show that his white blood cell count is extremely high, his immune system is very low; there are sores coming out all over his body, his eyes are leaking, and my two year old is looking and acting like he is 15; in dog years that is way up there. Without procedures that can only be accomplished by an internist, the costs of which are far beyond my means for the moment, the Vet took her best guess.

“Thyroid, Cush disease, or cancer,” she said gently. Last Friday she started him on medication for his thyroid and antibiotics for his infections. Because these need to taken on a full stomach and he is not crazy about dog food, I went shopping for beef and chicken. He lifted his nose to catch a sniff when I opened the oven door, so I knew it would work...and it did. I’m sure it’s not just my wishful thinking that he is already feeling better. He is still sleeping a lot, but has come out of my closet (where he goes to hide when he is hurting) and is back on his couch.

I worked long hours on both Saturday and Sunday – and there we go. The end of the month has arrived. Overtime, for the most part, is over. Today Helen was going for her cataract operation, and I didn’t want to leave Smooch alone, so I took the first of the many days owed to me to stay at home. There are some T-4’s to be done for the two clients I had kept from my own business, but a nice snooze is on the agenda too; needless to say that I haven’t been doing much of that, what with worrying about my boy.

And tonight...ah yes! Habs are not playing hockey, and I’m planning on spending a pleasurable time looking at my friends’ pictures from their tour in Indonesia, and diving into Blogit. Hours of my favorite pastime – reading – and I’m so looking forward to it!

For sure I’ll be SMILING!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec

1 comment:

Wendy Stanton-Gray said...

So sorry to hear about Smooch, There always seems to be something sad in your life my dear cousin :( Miss you.