Tuesday, March 27, 2012

TIME-OUT..... PRECIOUS!

Not much room for me here, is there?

My days, since I’ve been working from home, consist of answering a telephone that never seems to stop ringing, responding to or sending e-mails, multi-tasking in the various computer accounting programs, shuffling documents, conversing (i.e. arguing) with various haughty, language-challenged, CANADIAN civil servants…and opening the door to let the dogs, especially Grump, in and out whenever he indicates it is his pleasure (read often).

But...just after noon, whenever possible, I shut everything down for an hour and the doggies and I follow a specific routine for our ‘time-out’.

Step number one is to retrieve my fluffy, white throw from the bedroom. The throw has many memories attached. It was purchased at my favourite store, Chapters; part of a gift card received from my employees at Christmas three years ago. Because it is so light, and so soft, Bird would use it to ward off the evening chill when we would sit chatting, rocking gently on the gallery swing.

Step number two is to transfer the line, then unplug the telephone. The doggies are already paying attention when they see me with the throw. When I bend to the phone outlet, they both head towards the black leather love seat beside the wood stove. While I program the alarm, they climb up onto that sofa and sit waiting and watching.

Step number three is the game part. “You boys are taking up the entire couch again,” I tell them. “So I’ll have to use this one.” I plop myself down on the beige love seat facing the one they are on. Both of them scramble down, intent on joining me there. I immediately jump up and throw myself on the balck one they have vacated, wrapping myself in the throw. Of the two, the black love seat is slightly longer and larger than the beige one. Still, if there is any way we are going to fit at all, I need to take first position. Besides, I’m head dog.

Step number four is the adjusting of limited space to one human, one 100 pound pit, and one puppy that is growing like a bad weed. Grump takes his usual place behind my bent knees, laying his head, and sometimes a paw, on my legs. Smooch, who caught on very quickly, needs a little help to come up. He stretches out along my stomach, often putting his head on the pillow beside me. There is Spa music playing lightly on the satellite radio, a fire burning if needed, and, after a few movements or pushing here and there to make ourselves comfortable, the snooze is on.

It can last anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, when the alarm is set to ring. The dogs don’t move until I do, then they will let me struggle to crawl out from under them, yawning while I try to get feeling back into my legs, usually numb from Grump’s weight. The throw goes back into the bedroom, all methods of communication are re-connected, and we start our second shift.

Yes, I do have other couches in my house and a huge bed where I would probably be more at ease for my power nap. And even though I would likely smell better, I know the trade-off wouldn’t be worth it. Snuggling with the doggies is a precious part of my day. It is the one time I fall instantly to sleep, and although it takes a few moments to loosen up muscle cramps caused by the crowding, there is nothing quite like the calm and peaceful feeling that goes with it. Cheap therapy.

Of course it makes me SMILE. Sending it out to you, folks; it’s a very happy SMILE!

Luv from the Bush in QUebec

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quelle belle photo de tes deux chums. On voit bien qui est boss dans la maison chez vous. I like your blog but it does not mention anything about what I would like to hear...the new job???. I'll have to twist your arm to find out.