Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I came this close
(photo courtesy of Photobucket)
to not leaving for my Mexican vacation this weekend. None of my doggie-sitters worked out.

My son and daughter were showing signs of exasperation. They know me so well. They were thinking that if I was worried about the dogs, I would NOT have a good time. In fact, the only thing on my mind would be to come back home, pronto!

My friend, Susie (the Cuban one), who has been working with me a couple of days per week, knows me even better.

“You’re not going, are you?” she stated more than asked yesterday. I had just described the kennel visit done on Sunday; one room smaller than my office with no windows, where both dogs would be shut away with nothing to do or see except an hour’s run outside in the fenced area twice a day. The people were fine – they are friends of my daughter and love dogs...but it is a kennel after all, and they have to divide their time among the many animals they are boarding. The other places, with individual runs where a dog has access to outdoors whenever he wants, are prohibited to accept pit-bulls because insurance companies will not cover them.

Just picturing Grump-puppy stuck in there for 8 days was undoing me. In all his 6 years of life, he has never been shut away, except in our own huge house (where he was on guard duty) with humongous windows. What would be going through his mind? He’s such a sensitive and loving animal...he wouldn’t understand. Trauma with a capital ‘T’, and who in hell wants a traumatized pit-bull?

Smooch is just a puppy, still learning to trust that his mistress. Endowed with a very strong character, he is responding well to my training. Add that to mentoring by the passive Grump, his reactions suggest that he will be an outstanding dog. A puppy is made or broken in the first six months; the last thing he needs is a bad experience.

Susie was right; although I wasn’t looking forward to telling my kids, I had decided that I couldn’t do this to my dogs. I was staying home.

My neighbour, master of the beautiful Louka and my lovely Sally, saved the day...or rather, saved my vacation. Late last night he informed me that he will be working in the immediate area for the next month. Between him and his sister, also known and liked by my doggies, Grump and Smooch will be visited six to seven times during the day, let in and out, fed, watered, and played with when needed.

Alrighty then!!! Vayamos to Mexico!!

What do you think? Am I SMILING????? Count on it – and you are welcome to share it with me!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enfin...tout s'est arrangé, ah...que je suis content pour toi. Enfin tu vas pouvoir aller en vacances.....Combien est ce que ça fait de temps que tu n'y est pas allé??...moi, je ne m'en souviens plus....hasta la vista. Je te le répète...BONNES VACANCES