Saturday, November 19, 2011

GO, GRANNY, GO!!

Photo courtesy of Photobucket

“We’re going on the trip. I called Yo and booked it.” My daughter stirred milk into her café crema as she spoke. She had stopped by to cut her son’s (my tenant grandson) hair, and came upstairs to chat for a few minutes before leaving.

“So you managed to book that week off? Good!” I answered, as I joined her at the table. I knew she had been worried that changing the dates for her scheduled vacation would be a problem. When her brother had told us about the plans for holidays with his 6 closest friends, she had been avid to join them. These boys, who had practically been raised in our home, were like extended brothers to her. They are all going to turn 40 next year, and Bow had explained how, with much juggling of dates for their own and their wives’ availability, they had finally hit upon a week where the 12 of them could go down south and celebrate together. It promises to be a hilarious time!

Yoshiko, my son’s wife, now works for a travel agency, and was responsible for the arrangements. She had assured Shan that her name could be added to the group if she acted quickly. Vacationing with that gang could be nothing but fun; I was happy everything had worked out. I smiled as I pulled back my chair. It was a good thing I was already sitting when Shan spoke again.

“Did you hear me, Mom? I said WE are going. Double occupancy is only a couple of dollars more than single, and I’ve booked your name too. You’re coming with us. So get your butt in gear – you have 5 months to prepare.” The Cheshire cat had nothing on my daughter’s grin as she watched for my reaction. I’m sure the expression on my face did not disappoint her.

“Me??” I squeaked. “But….but …are you sure the boys will want this? They’re so much younger…and going down there to celebrate….”

“Already taken care of.” She smiled smugly. “And it’s YOU, Mom. You’ve always been invited to any of their parties, but Bow called around to make sure. They think it’s great!”

I’m still reeling.

If what my kids want is to take my mind of the difficult events of the last 3 years, I’d have to admit that they’ve succeeded. I went from total surprise, to denial, to worry, then to…wow – this is awesome – excitement! It has been so long since I’ve been on a trip to the ocean that I’m scrambling to remember what I’ll need to pack…except we’ll forget the bikini.

I don’t have to tell you that there’s a little dance in my step now, and even though I completely forgot to ask where we are going, I’m SMILING!!

Sending it out to y’all!!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

1 comment:

polichon said...

Ah, que je suis content pour toi. Tes enfants sont une mosus de bonne gang de penser à toi . Voilà ta récompense pour avoir été une chum pour cette gang là. Quand on a su semer du bien la récolte est toujours bonne. Est ce c'est dans le Sud que vous allez?. N'oublie pas ton passeport.Kilroy