Friday, May 6, 2011

OOF!

(Courtesy of fellahz_7 in Photobucket)
Last weekend was full of sun and beautiful, warm weather. Unfortunately, it also being the last days before income tax remittance, I didn’t have time to be outside. A small business owner showed up late at our offices with 3 months of paperwork to be completed so that he could remit his tri-monthly sales taxes. The due date was the same – Monday, May 2nd. GRRRR!

I started in his file on Sunday morning at 8 AM, and worked through until 5 PM. When the numbers started flashing blue and yellow, I took a stroll on the gallery, then popped into the living room to watch some hockey. The couch was much more accommodating than my computer chair….I woke up 2 hours later, checked the hockey scores I had missed, then continued work to complete the file. I finished at 6:30 PM on Monday night, the only break being the drive to the city office. By the time I drove home that night, I had been awake for 25 hours straight. Needless to say I stopped the courtesy car (my truck was in the garage) 3 times on the way home, getting out to walk around to keep myself awake. And I’ll NEVER do that again!

I can remember going 10 days without much sleep during our Carnival years (I was the organizer), and it taking a week to get back on my feet. This was just one day and I’m still in recovery mode. The old mare ain’t what she used to be.

On Wednesday I received a message on Facebook telling me that an old and good friend’s Dad had passed away (Thanks Dee!), and the wake was Wednesday night only. I wasn’t looking forward to attending, although I knew I needed to go. It turned out to be most agreeable – my friend was happy to see me, and I met many others who I haven’t seen for ages, most of them since high school. Pleasant though it be, I was still in a half-zombie state, so didn’t stick around too long. Finally I made it back home, where I watched the end of the hockey game (the Wing’s team taking another beating sigh) before stumbling into bed.

My youngest son’s birthday (May 1st), the surprise outcome of Federal elections, Bin Laden’s assassination…all of this and more went flying over my head with only the briefest and an abstract recognition on my part. It’s that time of the year where only numbers count. Tax season, UGH! It does help fill the coffers…whenever we can collect the dues….but it is then I fervently wish that I had chosen some other way to make a living. Grump-puppy agrees, I’m sure, because he has to forego his walks, and often his cuddling too. Even when the mistress is physically there, her attention span, unless you are a column to be balanced, is definite lacking.

It’s nearly over. We need to work now on the stuff put aside in order to keep up during the period, and then we’ll get back to the same ‘ole, same ‘ole. I’m off to the hospital with my brother this morning, which I HOPE is not another waste of time, then will come home and take the rest of the day to hug my doggie and continue catching up on snooze time. I’m working tomorrow and Sunday, but the end is in sight, so I’m SMILING! It’s been awhile, hasn’t it? So I’m sending out an extra huge SMILE to make up for the missing ones.

A tickle with that??

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

1 comment:

polichon said...

Un beau blog que j'aime à relire. I can hear that song in my ears: The old gray mare aint what she uded to be, she aint what she used to be, et que the old grey mare ne s'est pas totalement assagie. Si occupée, où trouves tu le temps et l'énergie pour pondre ce beau blog. Tu me surprends tout le temps. Tough old grannie.