Monday, May 9, 2011

GTL???

Raphael

We were all celebrating Mother’s Day around my daughter’s table, and the usual good natured ribbing was going on. My daughter’s youngest son, Raphael, who turned 13 last September, was on the receiving end for much of it, and I guess I started it by teasing him that his Facebook profile seemed to have no shortage of girls declaring their admiration.

“He’s our GTL,” his sister said, smiling at him fondly.

“GTL?” I frowned at the new expression. “What is that?’

“Gym, tanning, laundry,” she answered me. “He spends hours in front of the mirror – his hair has to be just right, even after his games.”

My son Bow, who wore his hair long and tied back in a ponytail when he was a teenager, silently studied his nephew’s coiffure. The men in our family tend to lose their hair early. Bow rubbed his hand over his now bald palette, before advising drily, “Yeh, well – don’t get too attached to it!”

I choked on my sip of coffee. Yoshiko leaned over, patting my back to help, but when it started coming out of my nose, I ran from the table. I was in the bathroom, blowing into Kleenex, and attempting to compose myself, and I heard my son deadpan, “Is she okay? Do you think we’ll be getting our inheritance early?” The giggling began all over again….it didn’t stop until I arrived home later in the evening.

It is very rare that we all get together without laughter being a huge part of our gatherings. As in any family, there are tense moments. However those moments are few and far between, and are easily settled by our deep love and caring for each other, doubly reinforced by an ever ready sense of humor. Each of us has been a target for teasing, but we quickly learn to take it in stride; it’s not mean, and not serious, and it teaches us to laugh at ourselves.

I watched Raph, now an adolescent, an age typically plagued with feelings of character confusion and uncertainty. His reaction varied from responding with a huge grin to completely ignoring the jokes sent his way…but now and then he would make a remark to cut the joker down to size. No worries for this lad. His self confidence has been toned by his excelling in any sport he undertakes, his popularity with his peers, and the full support of his family. This kid will grab his mom and hug her in front of his friends, doesn’t think twice about kissing his grandmother then too, and makes no excuses for preferring to spend time with us instead of doing the ‘cool’ hanging-out thing elsewhere.

He is not a ‘jock’. He is an accepted GTL.

He’s my grandson, and I love him dearly. Besides, he has promised me a season ticket if ever he becomes a professional hockey player. Yep – I’m SMILING!!

Sharing with you, folks! Isn’t it a great way to start off a new week?

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

1 comment:

polichon said...

koolcat tu es tout un personnage. Hier c'était la rogne contre un certain "little fart", et aujourd'hui c'est la grande joie et le grand sourire Sans doute que la réunion de famille y est pour quelque chose. Chanceuse de les avoir près de toi. Your hockey player has good looks , looks like a hell of a good kid. Sa bonhomie retient de sa mémère, non? I always like your blogs, me...xxx