Saturday, April 9, 2011

HOCKEY & SISTERHOOD

Photo courtesy of Photobucket
"My husband drives me nuts. He’s got 4 or 5 games on the screen at the same time. I don’t know how he can pay attention to any one of them!"

Her words caught my attention. She was speaking to a girl beside her. I was at the grocery store, next in the line for the cashier to ring up our articles, so couldn’t help but hear their complaints. Saturday night hockey games were destroying their social lives. Obviously not fans of the sport.

"Excuse me." I gave her my best smile. "I’m curious. I wonder if you can tell me what channel your husband watches? The one with all the games at the same time?" She didn’t know, but I did come away with the information that her house was serviced by the Television Company I used. Alright!!

The HABS weren’t playing that night, but the Wings were, and they would be well into the 2nd period by the time I got home. I ran upstairs, dumped the groceries on the counter and scooted to the TV. I flicked up and down the numerous channels, excited at the possibility of having access to ALL the playoff games if the girl’s information was correct. There it was – the multi-view channel for the NHL! But...it was in red…I would have to call the server to get it activated.

I quickly found an old invoice so that I would have the client number in hand, then went through the inevitable button pushing on their automated answering system before finally reaching a real live person. We were losing time here! The lady listened to my request, verified my customer status, and started the procedure to give me the service. I kept my eye on the clock as I waited, holding the phone to my ear and the remote in the other hand. What was taking her so long? Finally I heard her tell me it was done.

"It will take from a few minutes to 2 hours then you will have access to the channel," she said sweetly.

“What?? ‘Two hours?? The Wings’ game will be over by then!!” I exclaimed.

“Umm...well, that’s what it takes. I can’t give you an exact time.” She sounded slightly taken aback. It could have been either the volume or the tone of my voice.

“No, no, no! What if I tell you that I really need to see this game?” I insisted.

She was still hesitant. “I’ll see what they can do.” She answered.

“Well, what if I tell you I have a huge bet on the game?”

Doing her best to please an upset client, she repeated, “I’ll see what they can do.”

“And what if I tell you my EX is playing this game, and I want to see him get his ass kicked?”

A gasp, a soft laugh, then…“I’ll speak to them immediately.” She was, after all, a female, and I had gambled that she would relate.

It paid off. Within 5 minutes the game was on. I settled back on the sofa in front of the action and lifted my glass in a toast.

“Sisters, unite!!” I proclaimed. And I SMILED!!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

1 comment:

polichon said...

Tu me fais penser à ma bru, tu lâches pas jusqu'à ce que l'on te donne ce que tu veux. J'ai rien contre çà, c'est le signe d'une personne déterminée. Koolcat, tu me fais rire, et c'est bon pour le moral. J'ai la gueule fendue jusqu'au oreilles à rire en ce moment. Je m'imagine te voir rire dans ta barbe de ton succès.