Sunday, November 28, 2010

SNOW, PARSNIPS & JACK.


This is our new neighbour, Jack. I’ll try to refrain from starting each blog with descriptions of the awesome pictures provided by Mother Nature…every day….all for free…right outside my windows. Not being a poet, or a photographer, I can’t do the beauty justice anyway. Still, because I tend to write what I feel, I’ll have to constantly remind myself that I’ve mentioned it over and over again. Yet… it was our first big snowstorm yesterday; the trees are now wearing their winter dress, one can follow the doggies’ wanderings by the solitary tracks across the expanse of white on Bud’s hill, and my mountain rises above it all, not quite completely covered, slightly forbidding with the dark patches of stone showing through…and there…I’m doing it again! Moving on!

Dawna invited me for supper yesterday. Aware of my reluctance to go anywhere when the HABS are playing, she subtly informed me that we would dine only after watching the game together. It was a pleasant evening and, although our chatting did little for my concentration on the game, her husband, Malcolm, was able to fill me in when I missed any of the action. The meal included parsnips. During our culinary feats in Saskatoon, I had mentioned to my friends that I did not like this particular vegetable. In fact, I had not eaten parsnips since leaving the farm when I was 11 years old. Both Dawna and Karen had assured me that the taste all depended on how the dish was prepared, so last night I tentatively added a few to my plate. The girls were right. They were very good. As I drove home, I was imagining how surprised my grandmother would be by me eating them without kicking up a fuss, LOL!

I fell into bed at midnight, and slept right through until 9 AM this morning. Was it the parsnips, you think? If so, I’d clean out the grocery stores, LOL! Jokes aside, I rarely enjoy long, straight hours of sleep, so this morning I’m dancing with energy! Perfect timing too, because there are floors to wash, and a long gallery to shovel. I also want to visit my brother (who, by the way, will get his scan results on Tuesday), and drop by to pick up papers from my son. We do the accounting for his mobile canteen. He tells me he is feeling much better, but I will pull mother’s rank and see for myself…and besides, I’m due for hugs from my rug rats. A great day in perspective.

Before I forget – and this one is for elysianfields, a fellow blogger – yesterday afternoon Bud and Grump warned me there was something going on outside. When I went to the window, I saw a little dog on the road, a very dangerous place to be standing with cars unable to stop on the slippery snow. He was wearing a coat, so I knew he was not a vagabond, but someone’s pet. Fortunately he came when I called, and was so happy to see me; it was evident that he was lost. I brought him into the house, contacted the phone numbers on his collar, and discovered he belongs to a new neighbour, the one who has just moved into my cookie lady’s house. I managed to take a picture of Jack (an appropriate name!) before his owner gratefully picked him up. What do you think, Elyse?

With that said, I need to get doing what there is to do. I hope your day is fine, and that your SMILE is a big as mine, and who said I’m not a poet? LOL!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec

2 comments:

polichon said...

J'ai lu ton blog à l'heure que tu venais de l'écrire ce matin . Pressé par le temps je n'ai pas pu exprimer de commentaires. Impossible de s'arrêter de parler de quelque chose de beau comme ta montagne. Don't feel bad, parles en tant que tu voudras, ce n'est pas moi qui va s'en tanné.J'ai comme l'impression que mon petit parc est rien à côté de ton coin de paradis , mais moi, je n'ai pas les moyens de me payer un domaine comme le tien qui doit valoir des millions. Chanceuse. Kilroy....xxx

Adnohr said...

LOL - ca vaut le millions dans mon coeur seulement, mon ami!