Sunday, November 29, 2009

SOMETIME THINGS HAPPEN....

On the way into work yesterday, I decided to call my Cuban friends to see if the ‘Christmas tree decorating’ evening was still happening, and to confirm my attendance. It was a shock to be told that their young nephew, 17 years old, died this week with a brain aneurysm. The boy’s grandmother is still here on vacation. She is very close to all her grandchildren, and it is painful enough to live through something like this. Being so far away, and unable to return in time for the funeral, makes it even harder. The poor lady has not slept much since she got the news. It was all I could do to hold back my tears when I hugged her last night. The child’s father is also here in Canada, living with his second wife in Ontario. I imagine he is not having an easier time of it. Because he is Cuban, he has to go through multiple, time-consuming procedures before returning to that country, so he wasn’t able to make it to the funeral either. It is so sad.

More than once, I have found these friends are extremely resilient. Maybe it comes from their nationality – Cubans learn very young to deal with situations that most Canadians never have to experience. Last night was no exception. Everyone participated in the Christmas preparations; some decorating the tree, others putting together the traditional winter jigsaw puzzle, and still others installing lights and mistletoe on the house ramps and walls. Soft Spanish Yuletide music played in the background, wine and cheese were consumed before sitting down to gorge ourselves with fondue. The Grandmother would be found silent and musing on occasion, but was quickly drawn back into conversation and laughter by one or another of the family members. Life goes on, and is for the living.

I got back to the house early enough to watch the review of the hockey game, then fell into bed around 1 AM. Grump-puppy woke me this morning at 9 AM, warning me that I’d better get up and open the door, or get out the mop, LOL. Hey, I slept 8 full hours, already a bonus! Now there is washing to do, and I have to go into the office for a short while. Tomorrow morning I’ll be in Gatineau, and I need to finish preparing things for the others in the Montreal office. Rey, my Cuban friend, told me last night that I still had not learned his motto “Work to live; don’t live to work.” He’s right. Old habits die hard.

Have a good Sunday, people. Sending on my SMILE, which will soon be decorated with mistletoe too? I love Christmas season – the traditions, the music, and all that love spread around! I’m grinning. Life is good.

Luv from the Bush in Quebec

1 comment:

polichon said...

"Work to live; don't live to work" You and I know that unless one learns to think work and more work how can you otherwise gather moss for old days. I worked like hell in my life and I'm glad I did, so will you be one day. Someone once told me :" Stick around with people that think and you will learn to think". Isn't it true? .Listen to the big philosopher...Kilroy...