Thursday, September 24, 2015

PITIFUL MOM

Like all good marketing tools, one click on any particular thing that may interest you on Facebook and you are suddenly bombarded by posts containing similar content. My love for animals, especially doggies, is no secret, and many Adoption Sites, or Lost and Found posts, show up on my screen. One day there was a picture of a young, male pit-bull; he had been hit by a car, they were not sure they could save his leg, and they were looking for the poor baby’s owner. Seeing no update on his condition within two days, I contacted the Rescue Site by private message, asking for news, or if they needed help, and said that I would take him if the owner wasn’t found. They responded by telling me to call them and they would give me the information. I was overjoyed to hear that his owner had been found and was assuming responsibility for all his care – he was a loved pet who had slipped his leash.

One thing led to another, and they mentioned a Site dealing often in pits, and told me to check it out. I did, and found a gorgeous white male, about 6 years old, who was up for adoption. This Site is very strict – you have to be serious about your requests, send in your experience with dogs, especially in the strong race category (Pits, Akitas, Rottweilers, etc) – and they will decide if the dog is a suitable match. They are serious about finding ‘forever homes’ only.

After reading my bio, they discouraged my interest in the male. I have a kitty, and he didn’t like cats. But, they wrote, if I wasn’t set on having a male, they had recently brought in a 2 or 3 year old female pit. She was sweet and gentle, used to other dogs and cats, and had just delivered her 3rd litter of 9 puppies. She would be available in about 6 weeks, as soon as the pups were weaned. They sent me a picture of this little girl, surrounded by her puppies, looking so thin and tired. All their dogs are in foster homes rather than kennels, and they gave me permission to contact the foster Mother to set up a meeting.

The date was set. I left work early and made my way to downtown Montreal to meet the little lady. I knocked on the door, it was opened, and she immediately came running. Her pups were in an enclosure in the same room and, like all good mommies, she was being protective. I had expected this, so I didn’t even look at her or the babies. I smiled and chatted with the Fosters, leaving my hands by my side, letting her sniff all over this stranger. Suddenly she stood up on her hind legs, putting her front ones on my shoulders and we looked into each others’ eyes. The Fosters made a move to pull her down but stopped when I shook my head. We stood like that for a moment, then I smiled, reached over and rubbed her behind the ears, and said calmly, ‘Hello sweetheart. Are we going to be best friends?’ She smiled back at me (yes, dogs do smile), got down and promptly sat on my foot, leaning into my legs...and stayed there for most of my visit. I glanced at the puppies – they were too cute – but I didn’t approach them. Trust doesn’t happen in an hour, and anyway, I was already wanting to bring them all home with me. It was safer for me to keep my distance.

She would be ready to come home by the end of July. If my application for her adoption was approved, I would be allowed to visit her again before the move. I left there on a high, crossing my fingers that I would be accepted, already loving Pitiful Mom, the name the Rescue Group had given her. There will be no more Pitiful in your name, I silently promised her. No more puppies for you either – it’s time for you to be cosseted, to have a life of your own. It’ll be just you and me and our kitty.

Once again I was to learn to be careful when making promises. Life has a way of throwing a wrench in the works – sometimes good, sometimes bad, and events were already in motion to totally screw up the one I had just made to Pitiful Mom.
(To be cont’d)

Wow! I haven’t done this in a while! But Mommy’s story is too long for one post. Am sending you all big SMILES, and already looking forward to telling you more.

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: