Wednesday, September 30, 2015

AND THEN THERE WERE...SIX???

Pitiful Mom would be coming home – I was accepted!! When the woman from the Agency called to give me the news, I took advantage of the conversation to ask her for some background on my soon-to-be companion. Most Rescues arrive with issues – sometimes little things that can be corrected, and sometimes things to which one has to be ready to adapt and endure.

During my meeting with Pitiful Mom, the Fosters had mentioned that she had been living with a ‘vagabond’. Having worked in the streets for years, I was well aware of how the majority of homeless people treat their animals. The Agency confirmed my guess; this little girl had maybe not received adequate health care, but she was never mistreated and she was well loved. In fact, it was because he loved her so much that her owner had contacted the Agency; when she went into heat, his male pit would catch her. This was her 3rd litter and she just a little older than 2 years. His financial situation did not permit sterilization, and seemed very unlikely to improve. He cried when they went to pick her up, but he chose this particular Agency because he was aware of the strict adoption policy. I promised to give them pictures after Mom was settled in so that this man who had made the ultimate sacrifice would have a measure of comfort, knowing he had made the right choice, that his baby was happy.

At the same time, the Agency lady mentioned that a couple of the puppies were weak, and could need to stay with their mother a little longer than the projected date of total weaning, which was the end of July. In that case, the arrival date would be delayed. Although disappointed, I also understood, so I agreed. It was only the next day that I thought ‘Well, why not?’, and sent them a message that I could handle a couple of puppies for the time it would take to wean them if it meant I could have Pitiful Mom earlier. (Yes, as one of our dear friends said to me later “You have this way of getting yourself into predicaments!”)

Things moved so quickly then! Later that week I was contacted to say they would probably take me up on the offer, and maybe earlier than planned. July 1st had been rough; there was an overflow of animals and they were working frantically to find temporary homes for the poor, lost creatures. Two nights later I was sitting at Suzie’s and the call came in. The Fosters could no longer keep Pitiful Mom and her babies – could I come and pick her up the next morning, and maybe FIVE of her puppies too? The Agency would keep the weak ones, putting them in homes experienced in that sort of thing, but 5 of the puppies were quite healthy, and the usual fosters who took puppies were on vacation to return in a couple of weeks....

Well, what do you think I said?

And this is why my son takes the credit for being a good salesman; he was selling me as the owner of one pit-bull, and I ended up coming home with six.

(To be cont’d)

Yes folks – I’m still on sickbay. In fact, I am returning to the clinic later this morning – the 2nd dose of antibiotics is useless – I can’t keep them down long enough to even digest them. UGH! The weekend was bad – my kids hovered around feeding me soup. I went into the office yesterday for 5 hours and it nearly did me in. More healing is needed before trying that again!

But I’m still SMILING, and, even if my illness is not, I’m hoping the SMILE is contagious!!! It’s on its way to you now!!


Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: