Wednesday, June 5, 2013

THE RIDES


“You’ll be okay, Mom. The cable cars go up the mountain, but we stay close to the ground all the way.” This was the statement from my son, B., the night before our 5th day of harried activity in Japan; a visit to Mount Fuji. He now tells me he really didn’t remember that on the 3rd...or was it the 4nd?...cable car we go up, up, up, then over the top of a mountain and there is nothing but AIR...and tiny, tiny trees away down there! The picture above shows my reaction, but doesn’t quite describe it. I gasped, swore, put my head down and tried to send my mind somewhere else so that I wouldn’t spew all over the people who were with us on the ride. My son, realizing what was happening, laughingly apologized, but very wisely moved as far away from me as he could. He knew that if I couldn’t keep my stomach contents under control, I would certainly aim for his shoes.

Fortunately I did manage to keep my cool, and the lovely boat ride around a beautiful, little lake nestled high on those mountains was worth the torment of getting there. I mentally prepared myself for the trip back down the mountain. This time I kept my eyes averted until we actually were floating just above the trees before taking in the wonderful scenery of the Japanese forest. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when it was over. Little did I know what was in store next.

Shopping. The others, not me. I was still kissing the ground.

Their interminable shopping occasioned our missing the shuttle destined for our traditional Japanese style hotel which was situated halfway up another mountain. My sweet DIL managed to talk an ancient bus driver (he was 90...at least) to drive us there in between his regular runs; it would avoid a 2 hour wait, and we were all anxious to relax.

The two-way road, better defined as a trail, was narrow, and winding, and steep, with sharp blind corners. It was supposed to be a 20 minute drive, but this dude did it in 10, all the while chatting away to my DIL, who was sitting behind him, and who he seemed to think couldn’t hear him unless he turned to look at her as he was speaking. I wasn’t the only passenger who held my breath all the way. At one point I muttered “And I thought the cable car ride was bad!” Nervous laughter from the others was the only sound they made until we were able to disembark, our terror-filled eyes wide and our legs trembling from constant braking. Then five year-old Yuri yelled “Wow! Can we do that again?” He moved swiftly out of my reach when he saw my glare.

Once again, a long massage and relaxing in the hot-spring baths, a delicious meal served with the utmost courtesy, then falling to sleep on a comfortable shikibiton (futon) while listening to the winds whistle through the mountains made it all worthwhile. My heartbeat was back to normal, we would be going home in a few days. I closed my eyes and SMILED.

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

For some reason, I can no longer post pictures. I looked for help on this site. Didn't find it. Frustration.

No comments: