Sunday, June 3, 2012

THE CULPRIT IS DISCOVERED

Home from the hospital - being spoiled just a little bit...


Good grief!! I strongly suspect that I have discovered what Smooch ate to make him so sick, and I think that poor doggie is lucky to still be alive! Mouse & rat poison!!! I have some out for the field mice that invade the house on occasion. It’s stashed high up in the cupboards where the dogs can’t reach it. However, the very same night that Smooch was so sick, an elderly friend had been adding a small unit to the cabinets. I warned him that the puppy would eat anything, but...he’s not used to puppies, and may not have paid enough attention. It was when I went to replace the box yesterday morning that I noticed the old one was completely gone. I can picture it: the box was in the way where the worker added the shelves, so he removed it and, concentrating on getting the job done, set the box on the floor for a moment. Puppies are curious, and very quick. Although Smooch was outside most of the time the renovation was going on, he would have come in whenever the door would be opened, and the worker went on several forays to his truck for tools or materials. Being in the office most of the afternoon, I wasn’t paying enough attention either, and I had totally forgotten about that poison!

Ah well, lesson learned, and Smooch is doing fine now. He is as tall as Grump, and very, very fast. On our early morning walk the other day he caught a chipmunk (sorry, Kabu!), which is something Grump never has been able to do. By the time I realized what had happened, it was too late for the poor little creature. When I did manage to get it away from the pup, I wrapped little Chippy in a cloth and gave it a decent burial. It’s difficult for Smooch to understand why he is being scolded for his action; that is, after all, how the breed got its name. The dogs would be thrown into a pit full of rats, bets were laid, and whichever dog killed the most rodents would win his idiot owner the purse. My, oh my – men have much to atone for when the Day of Reckoning arrives!!

Although quite good about coming when called, and staying in the yard when outside, Smooch has a problem with visitors. He jumps up, and because he is so big, his front paws land on most people’s chests. Only when shown the broom...in advance, during, and even after the person has entered and sat down...will he desist. And that’s as long as he can SEE the broom. If I put it away, he immediately starts over again. None of the training methods researched has been successful in curbing him of this disagreeable habit yet. Little puppies may get away with it as being cute. With big puppies, although they too are only playing, it is very bothersome! Any suggestions from dog lover readers would be welcome – except for advising patience. That one I already have down pat...most of the time.

Other than this one thing, Smooch is a lovable and obedient puppy. His sense of play, his expressions, his cuddles – there is never a day goes by that he doesn’t make me laugh at one or another of his antics. Grump is teaching him well, but his own character is emerging too, and even if he’ll never be as submissive as Grump, one can already tell that he is a good dog.

What do you think? Surrounded by puppies and rug rats, how can a person NOT SMILE??

Sharing those SMILES with y’all – speeding towards you through cyber space as you read.....

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: