Saturday, May 12, 2012

THE MESSAGE

Now there's a SMILE! My youngest rug rat, Tao, still wearing his breakfast at 5:30 AM!!


The big, bad monster was holding their brother hostage. The two super heroes jumped it! With much ferocious growling from the monster, and screams and giggles from the attackers, bodies were thrown here and there, pell-mell, fortunately landing on the soft mattress or bouncing onto forgiving couch cushions. The superheroes’ mother walked in from work and ended the scene. The monster, although enjoying herself immensely, realized that muscles and bones were going to hurt later...the interruption was appreciated.


It was 7:00 AM. After hugs and kisses, I headed for home to doggies who were as energetic at that time in morning as were the rug rats I had just left. The rain didn’t deter the beasts from insisting on a morning romp, so I donned raincoat over jeans over p.j.’s, and outside we went. The phone was already ringing when we entered the house an hour later. The work day had begun.


‘Complete rest!’ the doc had said.


Right.


She was talking to the wrong person. Not only I am no longer in a position financially to do nothing at all, but it would drive me up a wall; send me completely around the bend. So I compromised. I decided to do more of what I LIKED to do. Work was cut down; babysitting the rug rats while the parents did shift work stayed...as did the doggies, of course.


What else? I have to write more. It’s another thing I enjoy doing. And sleep when I feel the need. And cook – then eat as regularly as possible.


My recipe for curing burnout: Take 3 young lads aged 6 and 4 and 1; add 2 rambunctious doggies; throw in some wild playing, some long walks outside, some caring friends and family; stir it all together. While it simmers, tell a couple of civil servants to take a hike (politely), some deadbeat clients to do the same, sit out in the sun, read some good books....and remember why you’re here.


Having long ago despaired of possessing any particular talent to offer this world, I had decided my ‘purpose for being’ was to be Happy; the capital letter deliberate. Happiness spreads – there is nothing quite as contagious as a sincere smile, emphasis on the word ‘sincere’, and there is nothing more fulfilling (to me) than to see a sad and/or angry expression react in surprise, watch the light come into eyes, and an answering smile shine through. You know that you have helped that person a little; handed him/her a touch of joy. It’s my favorite rush.


My dilemma was that in spite of knowing this, my state of mind would not permit me to act. My recipe wasn’t working. Then I received the message.


It was late Thursday afternoon. My Cuban Suzie and I were shuffling papers in my home office when the dogs began to bark; the ‘Beware-stranger-come now!’ noise. Standing on the stairs, but careful to stay behind the gate out of the reach of the noisy animals, was a man waving a paper. Another bailiff – the third I had seen in the past month. My ex-partner’s fiasco was landing on my doorstep.


Suzie was just leaving, and I caught the sympathy in her eyes as she hugged me goodbye. I felt any energy drain away. Alone now with the doggies, I threw the paper on the table without reading it, then numbly grabbed a beer from the fridge. ...and let my mind slide into neutral.


I’m not sure when I fell to sleep, but it was early. I woke up around 2 AM, thirsty, but surprisingly rested. It was two coffees later when I steeled myself and picked up the paper to read it. When I saw the file number, composed of 4 numbers and 3 letters, it hit me like a rap on the head. I stared, then started to laugh. I couldn’t wait to make calls in the morning.


The female lawyer’s voice was quite ‘official’ when I reached her. I told her who I was, advised her that I had received her papers, and I’m sure she couldn’t help but hear the glee in my voice when I offered to read her the file number. She probably thought I was drunk, although it was only 10 AM.


“Number xxxxxx,” I said. “And that is followed by the letters, GOD!” I laughed into the phone. “Now, ma’am, I know I’m ahead on this one with such a file number!! What could anyone possibly do to me?”


Maybe it was my delight, or was it her astonishment when confirming the file reference which, she told me, is computer generated? Whatever – it set the mood for our conversation, and we hung up with her affirmation that things would be looked into.... both of us still laughing.


The next five calls I made were ones I had been putting off for similar reasons. Although the special file number was not part of those conversations, my attitude remained the same, with the result that each conversation ended in laughter too. There were no exceptions.


I am not religious, but I am spiritual. I had been praying for a boot in the butt to get me out of that desperate grey hole where I’ve been living lately. My answer was delivered instead with humor – from the least likely place one would expect it – with a bailiff yet!!! Instead of a boot, it was a gentle shove....and a huge SMILE!


I’m still SMILING, and sharing it with y’all!!


Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: