Friday, December 16, 2011

THEN THERE'S FRED....

Fred with his mom, my daughter Shan.

My passion for couch-coaching the NHL, especially the HABS, is well known. Most friends, and certainly family, are aware that hockey, or occasional other sports, are the limit of my TV watching. I’m not a huge fan of movies, never did soaps, and I gave up on the propaganda programs (news stations) a long time ago. Give me a book any day!

I am, however, partial to anything made by Disney, and certain cartoons. I’ve watched the Lion King more than once, really enjoyed the first Pirates of the Caribbean, and laughed through each of the Shrek movies with pleasure.

I can’t remember why my admiration for Shrek came up in the conversation with my grandson. I do know that he showed up with the whole series yesterday afternoon, together with his new 59 inch TV. He called me to come and see. I regarded the huge screen doubtfully. It looked terribly blurry to me, and I was preparing a “My boy, I think you’ve been had...” speech, when Fred handed me a pair of glasses. At his instigation, I put them on, looked at the screen again, and WOW!!! There was Shrek, prancing around and singing...in 3-D!!! I fell in love!

At Fred’s call, I had left boxes half emptied on the floor upstairs. The thought that there was still a lot of work waiting up there rang a warning bell in my mind. But it was only a very little bell, and the TV volume was quite loud, and that fellow Shrek is so enchanting!!!

I admit it. The real reason I reluctantly returned to my office was the fact that both sofas in my grandson’s apartment were covered with 4 other young men, one of whose glasses Fred had lent to me, and who now sat politely waiting for their return. Darn!

Later on, as he was leaving, Fred asked me if I wanted to watch the hockey game on his TV downstairs. “No, thanks,” I answered. ‘But one day you can show me how that all works, and when you’re not here, I’m going to have myself a Shrek-fest”.

“No problem, “he grinned back. “I’ll show you. But you can come and watch them with me anytime if you want.”

This is the same grandson who, on the rare occasion when he borrows my truck, returns it full of gas...then leaves me a bottle of wine on the table. He’s the same lad who fills my wood baskets each day without being asked; who is always willing to use muscle power when his grandmother needs it (with my recent moves that has happened often enough!), and usually has a friend or two around to help out too.

He is the boy who, oh so gently, lifted his Uncle Bird off the toilet, patiently arranged the pyjama bottoms, and half supported, half-carried him back to bed, all the while joking softly in his deep baritone voice.

He’s slightly macho, is a terror on a dirt bike...and loves puppies and kittens....and his family and friends.

What more can I say? No wonder I’m SMILING!!!! Sharing it with you folks!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec

1 comment:

polichon said...

This is my second comment, and hope it goes through. You are lucky to have a grand son that looks after his mémére the way he does, and especially that he fills your car with gas when he uses it, that,s very unusual, but nice of him. You aree a lucky girl. Count your blessings