Sunday, May 24, 2015

THIS EVENING...

I sat alone on my gallery outside tonight. It was dark, and warm; a perfect spring evening. I listened to the whip-o-will, felt the wind gently lifting my hair, and watched the crescent moon flit behind and out again from a fluffy cloud. How many nights over the years have I spent out there listening to the drowsy sounds of my bush?

But tonight’s difference was glaring.

I miss my doggies. This is the first spring in a long, long time without Grump sitting quietly beside me. And my energetic Smooch, whose gallop I could hear as he would enthusiastically race around the house again and again before attacking me with his puppy love and kisses....Or Bud, the terrible Budinski , dropping stones at my feet, tail wagging, waiting for praise of his perfectly delivered gift.....

I can name others. Ben and Beef and Gidoune and Kojak and Pooch and King and Skippy and Bruno and Paddy....all four legged bundles of pure devotion.

Bandit, my adopted kitty, did join me, but not for long. Something rustled in the bush and he was gone. I watched him stalking silently, then called to him, worried that a little chipmunk was going to meet its end. He listened as cat’s do...NOT! I like all animals, but I am definitely a dog-person.

I think it’s time to visit a shelter. I’m sure there is a canine heart waiting there just for me....

Sending y’all sleepy SMILES!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: